Click here for more information about the Debbie Dougan Scholarship Donation

Sunday, January 08, 2012

WWDS?

First of all, I want to thank Nicole Maggi and her blog on Friday "It's a practice not a perfect." (Go ahead, go on over to Nicole's blog and read it real quick. I'll wait.)

I think the aim for perfection (quote every day) got in the way of my practice of writing. I think I even had a post about this very thing as I was trying to catch up a week or two ago. Obviously, I'm a bit slow to catch on. Gotta walk the talk. Practice what I preach.

Ooo, there's that word practice again.

I've been thinking a lot about my "all or nothing" expections for myself. If I can't dive into the deep end and swim across the channel, I won't do it at all. Not a productive way of thinking, is it?

In yesterday's blog I asked myself a question. "What would Debbie say?" I can add to that maybe, what would Nicole's yoga teacher say? Or how about Nicole's New Year's resolution blog in which she resolves to fall in love with writing again in 2012? Or Ginger and Linda's WritersButt project advises to start with baby steps?

The key isn't instant success, it's not a destination or a result, it's a journey. A practice. A daily walk. Some days are going to be better than others. Some are busier than others. (And some days are downright insane.) The point isn't never missing a day. The point is having the goal and aiming for it, but knowing that if you fall short, it's more about getting up and heading toward the goal again than it is about never falling down in the first place.

Feel free to remind me of that now and then, okay?





2 comments:

Nicole Maggi said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Barb! I can't say that I'm not constantly distracted by the end result, by obsessing over my book being out on submission...but by taking it one day at a time and looking at it as a practice, it makes it all a little more manageable!

Barb said...

Do you have a visual reminder in your writing space to help remind you?