Click here for more information about the Debbie Dougan Scholarship Donation

Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Secret: Taking Control

As Jen mentioned below, we've embarked on a month-long experiment of The Secret and how we can make it work for us. We started our experiment with The Burn on Wednesday night, and yesterday was our first full day of the experiment.

As you know, I'm an actress in addition to being a writer, and yesterday I had an audition for a short film. Nothing huge, nothing directed by Scorcese, but a chance to get more on-camera experience which I sorely need. I liked the script a lot and thought the role would be a good one for me. So right before the audition, I took a few minutes to write down what I was grateful for that day. Here's what my list consisted of:

I am happy & grateful for this beautiful day. [I live in Los Angeles and the weather has been amazing here!]
I am happy & grateful that I was able to write today. [I got in 1200 words yesterday!]
I am happy & grateful that Chris is feeling better. [My hubby got hit with a case of food poisoning two days ago, poor thing]
I am happy & grateful that there were so many Shakespeare auditions in Backstage West today.
I am happy & grateful that my dad & I had a great conversation last night.
I am happy & grateful that I have such great friends.

That was it. Nothing earth-shattering, but just taking the time to acknowledge all the wonderful things in my life right now.

Then I wrote that I wanted to get cast in the film. I went to the audition and did a good job. Two hours later, the director called me to offer me the part.

Here's the thing. As artists, we often feel like we don't have a lot of control over our careers. It's up to someone else to cast me in a show or to publish my book. Those things are out of my control. So it is important to utilize everything that is in my control and take back that power. It was in my control to be grateful. It was in my control to send positive energy out to the Universe. It was in my control to do a good job at the audition. All of those things gave me power. And that power landed me the role.

Even if I had not been cast, I could honestly say that I did everything within my control to get that part. And what could be more powerful than that?

I'll be checking in often with more comments on The Secret Experiment and with more successes, I'm sure!

3 comments:

Ginger Calem said...

Nicole, it's so cool that you got such 'speedy' validation on your efforts. (Congrats on the role!)

I like what you said about being in control of our gratitude. That really resonated with me. You are right that we aren't in control of everything...but we can be in control of our thoughts, attitude and gratitude. How empowering to exercise our control over what we can.

Gerb said...

Again, this is a principle that is not new or "secret" but vitally important. Absolutely, developing an attitude of gratitude goes a long way toward maintaining that positive energy.

And having a manifestation that the positivity is working is another great boost! :)

Jennifer McAndrews said...

I'm just glad Nicole put this post up and not me cos I'm not sure I could spell Scorcese without hitting imdb.com *ggl*